Further adventures with Gurts Milk Surp – a 100% natural goat milk soap recipe

made with goat milk

This recipe replaces the water normally used with goat milk, but is otherwise a straightforward Cold Process soap recipe.

In my last attempt at making soap with goat milk I learned a lot – but even so it didn’t go smoothly this time either. The first challenge I had was that I’d frozen the milk in one big block whereas it would have been much better to have the milk ‘just frozen’ or slushy – making mixing much easier. What I ended up with was a slowly melting block of goat milk and the lye mixing with the milk as it melted – so got some colour I didn’t want and signs of some curdling. You can see the milk, still frozen, below the lye mix in the pic below. At least it didn’t overheat 🙂

what you get when you freeze your milk in one solid block then try to add the lye!

what you get when you freeze your milk in one solid block then try to add the lye!

Eventually, after putting the mixture into a warm bath I managed to get the oils and the lye mix both to about 90°F (32°C) and blended. I probably should have stopped as soon as I saw light trace, but went on a bit longer. I did remember to mix the French Green Clay with a little water this time, so I got a solid colour instead of flecks in the soap. Not sure which I prefer to be honest.

As soon as I added the clay and the essential oil I got a super fast trace – so fast I had to spoon the soap into the mould, which wasn’t good, I ended up not filling the mould properly and had some uneven bits when I took it out of the mould to cut. Next time I need to catch it sooner and stop blending if I want ‘neat’ bars.

Once in the mould I froze it to stop it going through gel phase and to keep it’s light colour, which again worked a treat. 24 hours in the freezer, then I left it to stand in the mould for 4 days before cuttting. 4 days was way too long, and I had another near disaster trying to cut the thing. I really need to get a proper ‘wire’ soap cutter and stop trying to do it with a knife. Impatience = some good bars and a bag of soap bits 🙁

Finally – the other thing I leaned from the last batch I made. Once I’d cut it I thought it looked terrible, crumbly bits, didn’t smell all that good, but I stuck it away to cure thinking “well I won’t be making any more of that!”. Six weeks later though and it had transformed into one of the best soaps I’ve made – smells amazing – and for sure feedback from friends and family tells me this is going to become a firm favourite, so I better get the blending/freezing/cutting processes sorted out for next time – there for sure will be a next time.

This chart based on the data from the SoapCalc app shows a good balance.

yerba beuna M chart

This fills a 1.5ltr mould.

Liquid & Lye Portion:
• 138.16 grams lye (5% superfat)
• 360 grams full fat (whole) Goat Milk

Oil Portion (1000 grams total):
• 350 grams home rendered grass-fed beef tallow (35%)
• 320 grams extra virgin olive oil (32%)
• 180 grams coconut oil (18%)
• 80 grams shea butter (8%)
• 70 grams castor oil (7%)

At light trace, add:
• English Peppermint essential oil (I added 22.5g)
• French Green Clay (illite) (1g)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *